Monday, April 20, 2015

New Sketch

The biggest pitfall with constructing my own designs is that I always end up second-guessing myself.  After doing quite a bit more research and watching the fabulous "Elizabeth R" mini-series from the seventies, I've changed my mind about the bodice decoration.  There is so, so much documentation for "T" and "V" shaped trim on bodice fronts, but not really anything to support my previous stomacher-style design, which I fully admit was inspired by Sandy Powell's designs for "Shakespeare in Love", which are absolutely gorgeous but not exactly accurate.  Sandy has stated frankly in interviews that her designs match the tongue-in-cheek, romantic comedy feel of the movie and weren't meant to be exactly representative of the era.  I agree design choices, and the final product is gorgeous, but I think for this project I'll be erring on the side of historical accuracy (with provisions for the needs of modern outdoor theatre, of course) and move away a little from that inspiration.

Here is a doodle of my new idea for trim placement on the bodice.  I may or may not have done this during a staff meeting at my day job, please pardon / ignore the notes and type.


I know that is wasn't customary to have loose hair during this period, but I want to be a pretty princess damnit and ain't no one can stop me!  At least until my directors tell me otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment